Saturday 16 June 2007

chance discovery




Sometimes I stumble upon lines that I don't even know exist! Found this one on an evening walk at Clevedon last week. It appears to be 10 1/4" gauge. I thought Clevedon was railless but was wrong!

At one time Clevedon had four stations, one on the short GWR branch from Yatton (how on earth did that ever close?) and three on the Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway. Maybe one day they will all be open again? The branch to Yatton has to be an early candidate for reopening post Peak Oil as it is short and the junction station is still open. Through trains to Bristol by 2020 perhaps?

There is now an active group seeking to preserve the memory and some features of the WC&P. How long before they look at restoring part of the line? It's in a busy tourist area becoming busier each year and the engineering works needed to reinstate it are practically non-existent.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

Interested to see the line in Clevedon. I went on tihs last year. It is a 9 1/2 inch gauge line and one of the few left in the country. Dates back to the early 1950s and origianally steam operated, but now operated by a Severn Lamb steam outline Rio Grande called Charles Henry.

A picture can be seen at the top of this page on my website:

http://www.miniaturerailwayworld.co.uk/indexofminiaturerailwayscd.html

Hope this is of interest
Peter

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.